Friday, October 8, 2010

Khadijah

Somedays I wonder what it is that makes life here so different. It could be so many things: the overwhelming friendliness of the people here, the heat and humidity that make walking down the street feel like 10 minutes in an oven, the sheer numbers of motorbikes that crowd every street in Surabaya.... While there are so many things that distinguish life in Surabaya, there are so many things that remind me that it really isn't that different after all.

A typical day for me begins at 545 am. I wake up, take an impossibly cold shower, eat some yogurt for breakfast (Indonesians are routinely shocked that my breakfast does not include rice), grab somethings for school, and by 615 I'm sitting on the back of another teachers motorbike zipping along for the 4 minute ride to school (two minutes of which is spent sitting in traffic). On the days when I leave later for school I usually walk. The walk takes ten minutes and despite the fact that I've been walking around my neighborhood of Karangrejo for the past three weeks people still do double-takes when they see me (usually children will scream at the top of their lungs "HELLO MR. JACK!!!"

Upon arriving at my school - SMA Khadijah - I usually walk straight for the teachers lounge and stand in front of the air conditioner for at least ten minutes. Khadijah is an Islamic school with international standards. This means that fully one -third of their curriculum is dedicated to Islamic studies. It also means that because they are a school which the government here classifies as "international standards" they must teach part of all classes in English. Every monday and wednesday we have English days, during which all announcements are made in English, all classes are supposed to be taught in English and the school becomes fully international.

Two pictures of my school, not a bad place to work at all...
The court is actually a partial gift from the Development Basketball League (an NBA project to create a sports league for students that prioritizes academics equally with athletics).


Our classes begin at 645 after morning prayers. Two days a week I have morning class, during which I'm usually waiting for my coffee to kick in at the same time I'm trying to teach a lesson. The classes usually last for about an hour and twenty minutes, and while somedays my schedule is quite free, other days I teach literally every period of the day. This week I taught three different lessons.

In the tenth grade we were practicing improving our skills with introductions. We reviewed different ways in which people can introduce themselves, and also important information to convey to the people you are meeting. My tenth grade classes often require that I speak slowly and accentuate my words so they can understand, luckily - and it should come to no surprise to anyone reading this - my voice is loud enough they can hear me perfectly. During that exercise I had all of the students write down the name of a celebrity - whether Indonesian, English, French or otherwise and put it in a hat, they then selected another name and the students had to pretend to be that person and have their classmates guess who they were by asking questions like "where are you from?" "what is your job?" "how old are you?" and so on. Some of the names they wrote down were Indonesian (Rhoma Irama, Agnes Monica, Sukarno, etc.) and others were from all over. In one class three people wrote down the Prophet Muhammad, and three people also wrote down Justin Bieber (culture clash possibly?). One girl had not only written down Justin Bieber but had also written down "I heart JB!" on her card.

One of the eleventh grade classes (science 1) asked for a photo after class, here it is:


The eleventh grade classes this week were practicing their listening skills and speaking skills. This week we listened to some English language songs and they split into groups and tried to analyze the songs. I played a variety of songs but two of the most common were Yesterday by the Beatles and A Message 2010 by Coldplay. The students were very good at explaining these songs and speaking infront of the class. Sometimes I feel it is very necessary to try thinking outside of the box with the eleventh grade because their textbook is not the best. In one exercise on using the past tense it had ten questions, four of which had grammatical errors in them. The textbook also has hilarious nonsense words and sentences which are simply hilarious.
The picture below shows my favorite odd sentence, it reads "I'm sorry, Miss. My body is not delicious." Ohhh Indonesia....


Classes usually end at 1, followed by an hour for lunch and then finally the afternoon classes run from 2 to 330. I have an afternoon speaking class every day during this period. This week I had them arrange pictures in order and then tell a story about the pictures. The pictures were just drawings about a family that needs to call a plumber. In one of the funnier moments of the week, one student forgot the word for dripping so instead just said the "water was mini-mini."

After classes I return to the teachers lounge to wait for a ride home. During this time the teachers room also is the spot where the teachers children choose to hang out. While I work at the high school, Khadijah is actually part of a K-12 school that also includes a foundation headed by the former Indonesian Secretary of Women's Emancipation under the first democratically elected President of Indonesia. All of the children are fantastic Indonesian teachers for me and have an incredible paitence as they try to get me to understand some of the more difficult words. Two of them in particular are Uyun who is a nine year old girl and her little brother Anas who is six.
I took a picture of Anas for this blog because my day is really never complete until I've seen them and learned another Indonesian word from them.


At about 4 pm each day I return to my neighborhood and try to sleep a little before the next day begins. Knowning full well that there is bound to be some even crazier moment tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! My 10th grade kiddos are in 11th grade! It's great to see that you're becoming a part of the school's community so fast. And keep practicing with Anas and Uyun, I told you they were awesome!

    Take care!
    --Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to hear of your classes, and the great ideas that you have in teaching them.And am amazed you are up so early, and a cold shower.........the pictures were great....miss you!A.Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a terrific description of your day. Teaching is so much fun, isn't it Jack?
    Miss you

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fascinating time you are having! Learning to teach and be taught at the same time!! Enjoy you will remember this time your whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. waww...
    It's Surabaya and XI scince 1... ^_^
    Thanks Mr. jack...

    Dije...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack,

    I would LOVE to spend just a day in one of your classes ~ It sounds like you might just be busier than I am, which is very hard for me to wrap my head around because I am exhausted at the end of my days....BUT you are so much younger than me! I'm sure you have an energy bank that you can withdraw from when needed - mine, unfortunately is overdrawn! Keep enjoying your students ~ they will indeed enjoy you. How lucky are they to be with you. Take Care!
    Gail Carlson

    ReplyDelete